How can You take advantage of the Apprenticeship Levy?
We’ve come across a fantastic article written by Mark Dawe, Chief Executive of Association of Employment and Learning Providers (AELP).
Mark details how you can take advantage of the Government’s Apprenticeship Levy, which came into effect two years ago.
Key points in the article include:
- If you are an organisation and wish to claim your levy back with a 10% top-up added by the Government to use for apprenticeships within your own workforce, you must register for a digital apprenticeship account. Visit this website to get started!
- In 2017, a Government commissioned survey found 86% of employers reported benefitting from ‘the development of skills relevant to the organisation’ by hiring apprentices. A further three-quarters highlighted ‘improved productivity, better quality of product or service, and higher staff morale’.
- The same survey found that staff turnover is often reduced and that costs can be saved by using the programme to up-skill existing staff to ensure your organisation has the capable personnel it needs.
- From the feedback received by the AELP, the biggest attraction for employers is that their apprentices are learning new skills, knowledge and behaviours, while working on the job that is specifically relevant to that role.
- Many employers like apprenticeships as drivers of social mobility, because they offer young people a high-quality alternative to a successful career.
The AELP advises housing associations and trusts to explore a Government-approved training provider with the necessary sector expertise to advise a no extra cost on the creation and running of an apprenticeship programme suited to them.
And what is the AELP top tip for organisations looking to hire an apprentice? Hire a young digital marketing apprentice who can bring immediate benefits.